The New York Times Journal of Medicine This week, given that we are now entering the dog days of summer, we focus on two stories and more importantly we take this opportunity to discuss how we in medicine are filtering, receiving, and appraising medical scientific data on COVID-19. The story is part tongue-in-cheek, but truth … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #8
Mutual pick: DEXAMETHASONE for COVID-19 – Ready for Prime Time For over a week the medical world has reeled after being assailed by a press release from the UK telling us a study from Oxford (part of the massive national RECOVERY trial, a five-arm investigation designed to identify treatments that may be beneficial for people … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #7
By Timothy Howard, DO I currently have a solo, private practice with several offices in Bucks and Montgomery Counties in Southeast PA, outside of Philadelphia. The area I am in is some of the hardest-hit areas in Pennsylvania with COVID-19 due to being in a metropolitan area as well as proximity to New Jersey … Read more My Rheumatology Practice during COVID-19: Pennsylvania
Sorting out asymptomatic/pauci-symptomatic transmission and the importance of masks in the office and in life This week we would like to bring your attention to a couple of articles published on the asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection. We think this is a really important concept and reinforces the high importance of continuing to wear masks and social … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #6
Additional Resources For Rheumatologists
- Current Progress in Adapting Practices to COVID-19 Dr.Laster
- The CDC provides information to lead practice leaders through a risk assessment.
It can be accessed at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/assess-manage-risk.html.
- An algorithmic approach to decision making in such circumstances can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/public-health-management-decision-making.pdf.
- An example of how one member practice is communicating with their patients and staff: Practice Document.pdf
- Guiding Principles from the American College of Rheumatology for Scarce Resource Allocation During the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Case of Hydroxychloroquine
- Strategies to Optimize the Supply of PPE and Equipment
Dr. Alvin Wells, a UR Medical Policy Committee Member answers questions on converting to Telemedicine for the Rheumatologist