Masks, Contagion and Getting Back to Work It is hard to believe that August is around the corner, marking the 6th month that we have spent in the COVID-19 pandemic. Unfortunately, we are not where we hoped we would be, with many states continuing to see rising in case counts, hospitalizations, and deaths. We are … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #12
The Yin and Yang of COVID-19 Clinical Trials Well, it looks like we are flattening the curve! Unfortunately, it’s the wrong curve which is the exponential increase in COVID-19 clinical trials. By our assessment, as of this past weekend, there are a mere 2,653 trials on COVID-19 registered on www.clinincaltrials.gov, a figure not palpably different … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #11
“History is merely a list of surprises that should prepare us for future surprises.” – Kurt Vonnegut At this point in the pandemic, Cassie and I think it’s time to hit the reset button. This column is clearly not designed to be a comprehensive summary of what is going on in the COVID-19 world but … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #10
Well, our COVID-19 Corner must be working as many states and municipalities are getting on the mask wagon. We have labeled it the “Save the economy and save your grandmother” initiative. Let’s keep it up. Maybe POTUS will start reading our Corner in his briefing? You never know. Recently many states in the US have … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #9
Additional Resources For Rheumatologists
- Current Progress in Adapting Practices to COVID-19 Dr.Laster
- The CDC provides information to lead practice leaders through a risk assessment.
It can be accessed at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/assess-manage-risk.html.
- An algorithmic approach to decision making in such circumstances can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/public-health-management-decision-making.pdf.
- An example of how one member practice is communicating with their patients and staff: Practice Document.pdf
- Guiding Principles from the American College of Rheumatology for Scarce Resource Allocation During the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Case of Hydroxychloroquine
- Strategies to Optimize the Supply of PPE and Equipment
Dr. Alvin Wells, a UR Medical Policy Committee Member answers questions on converting to Telemedicine for the Rheumatologist