“History is merely a list of surprises that should prepare us for future surprises.” – Kurt Vonnegut At this point in the pandemic, Cassie and I think it’s time to hit the reset button. This column is clearly not designed to be a comprehensive summary of what is going on in the COVID-19 world but … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #10
Well, our COVID-19 Corner must be working as many states and municipalities are getting on the mask wagon. We have labeled it the “Save the economy and save your grandmother” initiative. Let’s keep it up. Maybe POTUS will start reading our Corner in his briefing? You never know. Recently many states in the US have … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #9
The New York Times Journal of Medicine This week, given that we are now entering the dog days of summer, we focus on two stories and more importantly we take this opportunity to discuss how we in medicine are filtering, receiving, and appraising medical scientific data on COVID-19. The story is part tongue-in-cheek, but truth … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #8
Mutual pick: DEXAMETHASONE for COVID-19 – Ready for Prime Time For over a week the medical world has reeled after being assailed by a press release from the UK telling us a study from Oxford (part of the massive national RECOVERY trial, a five-arm investigation designed to identify treatments that may be beneficial for people … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #7
Additional Resources For Rheumatologists
- Current Progress in Adapting Practices to COVID-19 Dr.Laster
- The CDC provides information to lead practice leaders through a risk assessment.
It can be accessed at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/assess-manage-risk.html.
- An algorithmic approach to decision making in such circumstances can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/public-health-management-decision-making.pdf.
- An example of how one member practice is communicating with their patients and staff: Practice Document.pdf
- Guiding Principles from the American College of Rheumatology for Scarce Resource Allocation During the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Case of Hydroxychloroquine
- Strategies to Optimize the Supply of PPE and Equipment
Dr. Alvin Wells, a UR Medical Policy Committee Member answers questions on converting to Telemedicine for the Rheumatologist