Vaccine Boot Camp at Warp Speed Well we are now over the 40,000 article mark including 36,000 + in PubMed alone and we are desperate for clarity on many, many questions but lately, it’s all about the vaccines. We thought we would take a crack at distilling this uber complex field and turn you on … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #13
Masks, Contagion and Getting Back to Work It is hard to believe that August is around the corner, marking the 6th month that we have spent in the COVID-19 pandemic. Unfortunately, we are not where we hoped we would be, with many states continuing to see rising in case counts, hospitalizations, and deaths. We are … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #12
The Yin and Yang of COVID-19 Clinical Trials Well, it looks like we are flattening the curve! Unfortunately, it’s the wrong curve which is the exponential increase in COVID-19 clinical trials. By our assessment, as of this past weekend, there are a mere 2,653 trials on COVID-19 registered on www.clinincaltrials.gov, a figure not palpably different … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #11
“History is merely a list of surprises that should prepare us for future surprises.” – Kurt Vonnegut At this point in the pandemic, Cassie and I think it’s time to hit the reset button. This column is clearly not designed to be a comprehensive summary of what is going on in the COVID-19 world but … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #10
Additional Resources For Rheumatologists
- Current Progress in Adapting Practices to COVID-19 Dr.Laster
- The CDC provides information to lead practice leaders through a risk assessment.
It can be accessed at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/assess-manage-risk.html.
- An algorithmic approach to decision making in such circumstances can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/public-health-management-decision-making.pdf.
- An example of how one member practice is communicating with their patients and staff: Practice Document.pdf
- Guiding Principles from the American College of Rheumatology for Scarce Resource Allocation During the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Case of Hydroxychloroquine
- Strategies to Optimize the Supply of PPE and Equipment
Dr. Alvin Wells, a UR Medical Policy Committee Member answers questions on converting to Telemedicine for the Rheumatologist