By Andrew L. Concoff, MD, FACR, CAQSM An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure As we all know, given the contagiousness of COVID-19, the best way to prevent contracting the infection is to avoid exposure to those who are infected. This is complicated by the potential for those with mild symptoms, or … Read more Rheumatology in the Time of COVID-19: Pre-Clinic Visit Screening and Triage
By Andrew L. Concoff, MD, FACR, CAQSM Optimizing Telemedicine Approaches for Either Decision I received word from a practice today, where a patient was heard saying, “I can’t believe you guys are still open, I had assumed that you had closed”. This is not the first time that an agonizing Rheumatologist has reached out with … Read more Rheumatology in the Time of COVID-19: To Stay Open or To Close?
Due to the current environment, practices can now utilize the patient portal to initiate a Telehealth visit. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has made an exception to a few aspects of this: 1. They are not restricting to rural areas. 2. CMS will now pay clinicians to check in on patients instead … Read more The latest developments about CMS Telemedicine.
By Andrew L. Concoff, MD, FACR, CAQSM The novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has altered the landscape of the practice of Rheumatology. United Rheumatology is closely monitoring the situation and has put together this initial communication to summarize several considerations toward coping with the new reality confronted by our members and their patients. It should be … Read more Managing a Rheumatology Practice During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Additional Resources For Rheumatologists
- Current Progress in Adapting Practices to COVID-19 Dr.Laster
- The CDC provides information to lead practice leaders through a risk assessment.
It can be accessed at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/assess-manage-risk.html.
- An algorithmic approach to decision making in such circumstances can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/public-health-management-decision-making.pdf.
- An example of how one member practice is communicating with their patients and staff: Practice Document.pdf
- Guiding Principles from the American College of Rheumatology for Scarce Resource Allocation During the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Case of Hydroxychloroquine
- Strategies to Optimize the Supply of PPE and Equipment
Dr. Alvin Wells, a UR Medical Policy Committee Member answers questions on converting to Telemedicine for the Rheumatologist