Len and Cassie Calabrese COVID-19 Corner Issue #19 The Challenges of doing successful trials of immunomodulators in COVID-19 Since the beginning of the pandemic it has been apparent that patients with serious and advanced disease experience an inflammatory phase of the illness that the vast majority of individuals who recover from the infection do not. … Read more Len and Cassie Calabrese COVID-19 Corner Issue #19
Len and Cassie Calabrese COVID-19 Corner Issue #18 Genetics and COVID-19: A tectonic discovery!! The past few weeks have witnessed several breakthroughs in understanding the underlying genetic risks for COVID-19 infection. This is particularly important in trying to make sense of mortality rates. Overall, the global fatality rate has been hard to reconcile since patient … Read more Len and Cassie Calabrese COVID-19 Corner Issue #18
While September seems like an age ago, we at the Cleveland Clinic are still recovering from a whirlwind week that including our institution holding the presidential debate, and unless you have completely avoided TV, intranet, and social media you have heard that POTUS tested positive for COVID-19 2 days after leaving our facility, where he … Read more Len and Cassie Calabrese COVID-19 Corner Issue #17
Additional Resources For Rheumatologists
- Current Progress in Adapting Practices to COVID-19 Dr.Laster
- The CDC provides information to lead practice leaders through a risk assessment.
It can be accessed at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/assess-manage-risk.html.
- An algorithmic approach to decision making in such circumstances can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/public-health-management-decision-making.pdf.
- An example of how one member practice is communicating with their patients and staff: Practice Document.pdf
- Guiding Principles from the American College of Rheumatology for Scarce Resource Allocation During the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Case of Hydroxychloroquine
- Strategies to Optimize the Supply of PPE and Equipment
Dr. Alvin Wells, a UR Medical Policy Committee Member answers questions on converting to Telemedicine for the Rheumatologist