Len and Cassie Calabrese COVID-19 Corner Issue #18 Genetics and COVID-19: A tectonic discovery!! The past few weeks have witnessed several breakthroughs in understanding the underlying genetic risks for COVID-19 infection. This is particularly important in trying to make sense of mortality rates. Overall, the global fatality rate has been hard to reconcile since patient … Read more Len and Cassie Calabrese COVID-19 Corner Issue #18
While September seems like an age ago, we at the Cleveland Clinic are still recovering from a whirlwind week that including our institution holding the presidential debate, and unless you have completely avoided TV, intranet, and social media you have heard that POTUS tested positive for COVID-19 2 days after leaving our facility, where he … Read more Len and Cassie Calabrese COVID-19 Corner Issue #17
Universal precautions in health care settings, Face Shields, Transmissibility As we move into colder weather months we wanted to take a moment to review what we have learned so far about the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and what factors increase transmission. It appears that the most important factors are physical distance and duration of contact. Also … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s Covid-19 Corner: Issue #16
Amidst the COVID-19 craziness, do not forget about influenza vaccination As flu season quickly approaches we want to take a moment to highlight the importance of getting this years’ (and every years’) flu shot – a thought that may currently be on the back burner for patients and even some health care workers given everything … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s Covid-19 Corner: Issue #15
Additional Resources For Rheumatologists
- The CDC provides information to lead practice leaders through a risk assessment.
It can be accessed at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/assess-manage-risk.html.
- An algorithmic approach to decision making in such circumstances can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/public-health-management-decision-making.pdf.
- An example of how one member practice is communicating with their patients and staff: Practice Document.pdf
- Guiding Principles from the American College of Rheumatology for Scarce Resource Allocation During the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Case of Hydroxychloroquine
- Strategies to Optimize the Supply of PPE and Equipment
Dr. Alvin Wells, a UR Medical Policy Committee Member answers questions on converting to Telemedicine for the Rheumatologist