As we review the now over 14,000 articles published on COVID-19 we aim to draw your attention to something that has caught our eye, either clinically or scientific. This week, we focus on two articles I believe can help us better understand COVID-19 disease pathogenesis, a field that is evolving rapidly. I love Cassie’s pick … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #3
Len’s Pick The essentials of understanding SARS-CoV-2 laboratory diagnosis and immunity One of the hottest topics in COVID-19 disease is the use of diagnostic testing. This topic includes both the identification of active infection as well as serologic testing which may provide evidence of immunity. This is a fast-moving field and work in progress but … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #2
By Andrew L. Concoff, MD, FACR, CAQSM In this, the last of the installments of the 19 Things We Need, we have finally made it to the Top 5. Here we have the most urgent and essential questions that will make or break our further response to the pandemic. Perhaps not surprisingly, these items are … Read more The Top 5 Things We Need To Conquer COVID-19
Cassandra Calabrese, DO, and Leonard H. Calabrese, DO will provide weekly newsletter articles focused on COVID-19. Let us introduce you to a great resource in the form of the Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine’s COVID-19 Curbside Consults. This is the brainchild of Brian Mandell MD PhD, editor in chief of CCJM, who is both our … Read more Cassie and Len Calabrese’s COVID-19 Corner: Issue #1
Additional Resources For Rheumatologists
- The CDC provides information to lead practice leaders through a risk assessment.
It can be accessed at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/assess-manage-risk.html.
- An algorithmic approach to decision making in such circumstances can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/public-health-management-decision-making.pdf.
- An example of how one member practice is communicating with their patients and staff: Practice Document.pdf
- Guiding Principles from the American College of Rheumatology for Scarce Resource Allocation During the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Case of Hydroxychloroquine
- Strategies to Optimize the Supply of PPE and Equipment
Dr. Alvin Wells, a UR Medical Policy Committee Member answers questions on converting to Telemedicine for the Rheumatologist